Modern workplace changes have sped up the development of many digital collaboration platforms that make it easier for remote, hybrid & in-office workers to perform consistently regardless of location. Cloud phone systems and software as a service (SaaS) applications, for example, empower employees to work more effectively and collaboratively from home, customer locations, and while traveling.
The organic growth of both remote & hybrid workstyles, combined with the isolating circumstances of the pandemic accelerated the adoption of these technologies. According to an article published by TechTarget, it estimated that 51% of conferences, 45% of internal calls, and 46% of calls to people outside the company would be done through cloud communications apps instead of landlines by the end of 2021, and they were right.
What is a Cloud Based Phone System?
A cloud based phone system, otherwise known as a cloud, virtual, or hosted PBX (private branch exchange), is a system that enables professionals to make voice and video calls over the internet. They might make these calls from a desk phone, a mobile device, or via a softphone application on their computer.
Is a cloud based phone system the same as VoIP?
When it comes to comparing a cloud phone system vs VoIP, technically, they are the same thing. However, most people think of cloud phone systems as business communications systems. For example, Skype and Vonage are often viewed as consumer VoIP applications, while Cisco, WebEx Cloud Calling, Zoom Phone, and Microsoft Teams are generally viewed as business-class communications and collaboration platforms.
Teams Voice For the Modern Workplace and Worker
Discover how Teams Voice removes inefficiencies and unifies voice in the context of an organization’s digital ecosystem; the different paths for migrating to Teams Voice; and key factors in choosing a partner to implement this vital part of a digital workplace transformation strategy.
How do cloud phone systems work for enterprises?
Cloud phone systems can make it easier for businesses with multiple locations and employees who work remotely, in-office, or both to communicate with each other. They can make meetings significantly more efficient in both real and virtual meeting rooms, or they can offer conference call recording services for internal, external, and hybrid conferences.
7 Advantages of cloud based business phone systems:
- No physical PBX appliance required
- Routing of calls to employees on their preferred devices
- Professional call greetings, menus and call distribution services at affordable rates
- Tailored offerings to your organization’s growing and ever-changing needs
- Fewer missed calls allowing for increased, effective collaboration
- Integration capabilities with other communication channels
- Options to apply extensibility for intelligent meetings
How to choose the best cloud based phone system for your enterprise
Cloud phone systems are not one-size-fits-all, and each vendor’s solution has strengths and drawbacks.
Ask yourself the following questions to find the best cloud phone system for your business:
- Do you have cloud telephony professionals on your staff that can build a custom cloud telecom solution from APIs and an SDK?
- Do you subscribe to a modern workplace platform like Microsoft 365, or own Cisco or WebEx devices?
- Are most of your internal and external communications video or voice based?
- What kind of devices will your employees be making calls on? Desk phones, soft phone computer applications, or mobile devices?
- Do you need to equip physical and/or virtual meeting rooms?
- Do you need features like employee directories, call distribution engines, call analytics or ambient sound prevention?
If you work with a service provider that has certifications and partnerships with multiple cloud telephony vendors, it will be much easier to choose a cloud phone platform that will meet your short-term and long-term needs. A consulting firm that can analyze your responses to the questions above, and provide unbiased recommendations will have your organization’s best interests at heart. Cloud phone system technology implementations are only successful if they can meet your functional requirements, and provide your users with reliable, high-quality voice and video calling experiences.
Consult with the Cloud Collaboration experts at Yorktel
To help you to identify the cloud communications solution that suits your needs, contact certified experts to design and deploy the collaboration devices and applications that meet your telecommunications needs. Contact the Yorktel office nearest you to set up a discovery call to talk about what you need from a cloud phone service.Back